Friday 18 February 2011

Meon Springs

Last week I fished at Meon Springs trout fishery. This was quite a bit cheaper than Avington, but I was delighted by the quality of the water: the top lake was crystal clear.

Soon I missed setting the hook after a strike. Later I hooked a rainbow and played it for a while before losing it after bringing it in to the side. I guessed I hadn't played it for long enough. Not long after, I hooked a 3 lb rainbow using a small black nymph and played it for about 10 minutes before successfully landing it.

I checked out the other lakes and they weren't quite so clear. I was also interested in the stream, but this seemed incredibly shallow and, from what I could see, devoid of fish. I'd be interested in anyone else's view of the stream, especially if they have fished it successfully.

I had to leave to get back to Winchester, but fortunately Meon Springs carry over uncaught fish to my next visit using a voucher system.

No comments:

Post a Comment