Thursday 17 February 2011

Grayling fishing on the River Itchen

A few weeks ago, Ian kindly invited me for some grayling fishing on the Itchen. I made ready by purchasing first of all Tom Fuller's excellent "Getting started in fly fishing" and then the basic equipment: rod, reel, line, leaders, a few flies, nippers, forceps, and sunglasses for eye protection.

On the day, after I had bought an Environment Agency license , Ian showed me the ropes of fishing a downstream nymph on the same private beat we'd fished in the Autumn. Unfortunately I caught a trout, but released it carefully without handling it, using the forceps to remove the hook.

Over lunch at The Bush in Ovington we enjoyed the open fire and discussed local fishing, the resources available on the internet, and the angling directory "Where to fish".

The high point of the day came later after Ian had left to watch the rugby: I caught and released a handsome, medium-sized grayling. Later the encroaching darkness ended another great day of fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment