Friday 18 February 2011

Avington Trout Fishery

Towards the end of January I tried my hand at lake fising for the first time, at Avington Trout Fishery. It was a cold day with ice on the edge of one of the lakes. Plenty of fish were in evidence, mostly cruising past near the bank.

After a couple of hours, one of the fisherymen came and gave me some tips on casting further into the lake, gave me a lure which would show up more clearly, and even lent me a 9' rod to try (instead of the 8'6" rod I'd purchased for grayling fishing).

With this instruction and after moving to another lake and being shown by him where to cast, I landed a 4.5 lb rainbow. A few minutes later I landed another of the same weight using my own rod. They were reasonably easy to dispatch with a priest and the fisheryman kindly showed me how to clean and gut them. (Filleting at home was quite another matter - must do better next time!)

Before heading off home, I tried fishing in the carrier but nothing was doing as it had apparently been fished hard the previous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment